Spring Wreath

We've had a burst of spring down here in south Texas.  I know its only January but, our winter lasts all of 2 weeks.  Pretty dang awesome, right!?  That is, if you can get through the endless summers of course.  

I was searching the shelves of one of my favorites joints, Hobby Lobby, when I came upon this ribbon.

So cute, right!?  It also comes in green and pink.  Oh the possibilities!  

I was inspired right then and there to make this wreath:

Here's the ingredient list.  Two rolls of that neato ribbon, an 18 inch straw wreath, or foam or whatever floats your boat, some felt for flowers, and a ton of hot glue.

I started it off by wrapping the wreath.  Lots of dabs of hot glue on the back side, keep it all in place

Here she is, all wrapped up!

 Next came the artistic part, forming some felt flowers.  There are a ton of tutorials out there for these, but here's my version...

First of all, free hand a spiral circle on your felt.  The bigger the spiral, the bigger the flower.
 Next, cut it out...obviously.
 Then, starting in the center, start rolling, gathering and or pleating it into a flower.  This is where the hot glue becomes your best friend.  Unless, of course, you have a tendency to burn yourself like me.  There's a reason why I no longer own a high-temp glue gun.  I can't be trusted.
 This flower was loosely rolled and gathered.
 This one received no gathering at all.
 And for this one, I pleated it pretty heavily.  All of these different looks started out as a spiral.  Pretty fun right!?
 I also made a few burlap flowers to add to the mix.

Here's a close up of my flowers smooshed onto my wreath.
I wanted a touch of sparkle and thus hot glued some beads I had laying around into the center of some of those flowers.
One of my favorite parts was hanging her up with a green polka-dot scarf I recently got for a steal through Groopdealz.  She's just stapled to the top of my door.  Shhh, that's our little secret.
After reviewing these photos, I realized that my wreath was a little lopsided.  So, I went outside and squished her back into place.  Straw wreaths are cool like that.  I probably would have preferred using a foam wreath form, but couldn't find one big enough.  I like my wreaths big and bold!  However, I promise she looks symmetrical (mostly) hanging on my door now :).

xoxo,

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. i love it! and i gotta say, i was not loving the ribbon as much as you were at first, but i LOVE the finished product :) you're amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I also love the tutorial on the flowers- they would make great hair clips as well! Super fun- might just have to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this on Pinterest and added it to my blog post for spring inspiration (I hope you don't mind). I am not usually a bright and bold kind of gal but your wreath has totally got me thinking about trying this. It looks amazing! I bet everyone that drives by your house must look and say...wow!

    Great job and thanks for the spring-spiration!

    Crysal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Crystal! I look forward to checking out your blog!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this!! It's gorgeous!! I'm kind of obsessed with this color scheme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I love these colors too. I'm wondering these days how to incorporate them in the rest of my house.

      Delete
  5. So sad! My Hobby Lobby doesnt have this ribbon :(((

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this wreath pinned on Pinterest and I fell in love. Check out my interpetation...http://thesavvyhousewife.com/2013/04/04/diy-spring-wreath/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Love this! I'm in the process of making this and featuring it on blog! Just curious, how did you attach your flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this, here is my take on it :] http://armybow-tique.blogspot.com/2013/05/burlap-chevron-and-felt-wreath-with.html
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete