Story Book Baby Shower

Two of my adorable friends are having babies any day now.  In honor of their hard work, I hosted a story book baby shower for them last Saturday.
The event was so much fun to put together.  I had a blast living vicariously through them for a few days!  Most of the decor was made up from found items in my own house.
For example, an old paperback became this wreath.
I never really did like that book anyway.  I won't share which one I mutilated at risk of ticking someone off!
A little close-up!
The same book made its way into my pinwheels.
Obviously, I was going for a grey and yellow theme.  One of the moms to be wanted to keep the gender of her baby a surprise, so things needed to be androgynous.  Beside, yellow and grey just look so chic together!
These bins may have been my favorite part of the whole shebang!
Found them at Lowes near the paint section and then spruced them up with some vinyl and ribbon.

More book pages were used to make the fanned circles for the garland 

and of course, some more pinwheels.
You can't have a baby shower without delicious munchies.  I started by brainstorming some nursery rhyme themed treats (Martha Stewarts web site helped out a bit here).  Several sweet friends of my contributed by offering to bring some of the dishes.  I never could have pulled it off without them!  Seriously, I never could have made multiple dishes by myself, and have them taste good, and have a clean house for every one to party in.  
We had Little Miss Muffets Tuffits.
Little Boy Blueberry Muffins
Humpty Dumpty Deviled Eggs
Mary Quite Contrary's Garden Salad
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Parmesan Stars
Little Bo Peep's Punch
Jack and Jill's Water
And you can't forget...the Dish ran away with the spoon
Another Book wreath acted as a center piece
And mini books and stars were strung as a backdrop
I wanted all the serving trays to be silver but, only had a few.  Thus, I supplemented with a couple  $1.99 plastic ones from Hobby Lobby.  They blended in perfectly.
I loved the flowery table runner down the center.  I saw it at Home Goods and had to take it home.  I'm thinking it might find its way onto my Easter Table next year as well.  The mini star tea light holders added a touch of sparkle.  I found them a couple of years ago at Walmart of all places.

Before my guest left, I made sure each received a bookmark to take home
I made them using bottle caps and jumbo paper clips
That's pretty much a wrap.  We just added some lovely ladies and some terribly fine books and had ourselves a great time.
It was scrumdidillyumptious!

6 comments:

  1. So cute and unique!! I love it!
    Would love for you to share at Show & Share!
    http://vintagegwen.blogspot.com
    Hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You friends are very lucky to have you... you thought of everything... and everything is so super cute... I really like the yellow and gray together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its fab! You are rather gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiration for my sister in laws baby shower! Love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Really late, but it says "baa baa black sheep brownies" :)

      Delete