Family Tree Wall Board


First of all, I must say that this wasn't originally my idea.  I've seen several things similar on other blogs.   But, a fantastic idea it was! 

Have you ever tried to price a board over 12" wide?  They're outrageous!  Of course, the kind of trees that are cut into boards don't generally grow more than 12" wide.  That means that those wider boards require a special fusion of two boards to make one.  Irregardless. sometimes you just want a larger piece of wood rather than a canvas or a flimsy piece of plywood.  Besides, I absolutely LOVE the texture that results from boards being combined to form one piece.  Here's how it's done...

I had some wooden slats left over from a little bunk bed repair - apparently there can be too many MONKIES jumping on the bed!!!  My slats were a little more curved on the edges than if you just bought a 1x3" board at the hardware store.  So, the shadowed gaps you see are unique to this piece.  I'm not sure if I like it or not.  Anyhow, just cut several boards to the desired width and then place them upside down lined up next to each other. 

Then, find a scrap piece of plywood or thin masonite that is slightly smaller than your completed project will be and place it on the back.  Use small furniture nails to hold it all together.
Paint any color you want.  I used my trusty walmart craft brown paint and a VERY loved/used foam brush.
Sand a little to rough it up and highlight the texture.

And finally, decorate the front.  I went with my Family Tree decal.  But, I saw some super duper cute Americana flags done earlier this month.  It can be hung with a sawtooth hanger or just prop it up on your fireplace/entry table/etc...



5 comments:

  1. The family tree decal on the planks looks awesome! Great job!
    Smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Where did you get the family tree decal? Also, how did you do your name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable. Love the color contrast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have a vinyl cutter and thus made the decal myself. I do sell them on my etsy shop if you're interested. http://www.etsy.com/listing/50514830/family-tree-vinyl-decal-wall-art

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this. I was thinking about doing this on canvas, the wood looks so good.

    I would love it if you came and linked this idea over at my Christmas in July homemade gifts party.

    Hope to see this there.

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete